FC colonel says he didn`t order firing on foreigners
QUETTA: A colonel of the Frontier Corps deposed on Tuesday before a tribunal investigating the killing last month of five foreigners in Kharotabad that he had not ordered the firing on the deceased, although he himself fired three or four shots at them.
Recording his statement before the tribunal headed by Justice Hashim Khan Kakar of the Balochistan High Court, Col Faisal Shehzad said he was in a meeting with FC Commandant Col Naveed in Ghazaband headquarters when Subedar Ramzan informed him on mobile phone that an explosion had taken place at the checkpoint and firing was going on from all sides.
When he reached the place, police and Frontier Corps personnel had taken positions near the security post.
He said he wanted to go to the post but police officials stopped him, saying another explosion might take place because the foreigners might be wearing suicide jackets.
Mohammad Hashim of the FC said in his statement that police had opened fire on the foreigners after an explosion. Another FC man, Taj Mohammad, also recorded his statement.
The proceeding was adjourned till June 9.
Meanwhile, Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani assured the Russian consul-general based in Karachi that strict action would be taken against any officials held responsible for the killing of the five slain foreigners.
The consul-general, Andrey V. Devibov, met the chief minister here and requested that bodies of the victims be handed over to the Russian authorities. He also requested that the passports recovered from the deceased be provided to them.
Mr Raisani assured the Russian diplomat that after permission from the tribunal the dead bodies and their passports would be provided to them without delay.