MI directed to produce missing Hizb activists
ISLAMABAD, Aug 4: Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Thursday directed the Military Intelligence (MI) director general to appear before the court on August 10 along with four missing activists of banned Hizbut Tahrir (HT) activists.
Since July 15, five petitions have been filed in the IHC for the recovery of HuT men. Sanawar Shah has filed the latest petition for the recovery of his brother-in-law Abdul Wajid.
According to petitions, Imran Yousafzai and Hayyan Dawar Khan were abducted on July 11, Osama Hanif on July 21, Dr Abdul Qayyum on July 27 and Mr Wajid on July 30.
On Thursday IHC Chief Justice Iqbal Hameedur Rehman resumed hearing of four identical petitions about missing activists.
Deputy Attorney General Tariq Mehmood Jahangiri told the court that the MI had denied abducting the HuT activists while Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) requested more time for submitting reply. He said Margalla, Koral and Rahim Yar Khan police stations after registering FIRs have started investigation for recovery of the missing men. He said he has instructed Shalimar police station for registering FIR against abduction of Osama Hanif. “FIR will be registered shortly.”
But Umer Hayat Sindhu, counsel for the petitioners, alleged that the missing activists have been detained by the MI in General Headquarters.
Though the chief justice offered the petitioners’ counsel for a court bailiff for recovery of the missing men, he insisted for passing directions for producing them in the court.
Prof Mohammad Hanif, father of missing Osama Hanif, told the court that in 2004 ISI officials had detained his son but later released him. He said due to hostile attitude of the intelligence agencies his three children have left the country and settled abroad.
The court order said: “The learned counsel for petitioners controverts the contention of respondent No. 4 (DG MI) and states that he be summoned to produce the detenues in court. Order accordingly. Respondent No. 4 shall appear in the court on August 10, 2011.”
Hearing the fifth petition about Wajid’s missing, the court issued notices to directors general ISI and MI as well as to Lahore police chief. The petitioner alleged that the officials of ISI, MI and local police armed with deadly weapons abducted Wajid on July 30 and since then his whereabouts are not known.