Police still clueless about Karsaz blast
KARACHI: Investigations are still underway into the Oct, 18, 2007 Karsaz suicide blast but there is no headway, said Additional IGP Karachi, Saud Mirza here on Tuesday.
“Our senior police officers are investigating the case but so far we are clueless,” he said while talking to media persons after funeral prayers of a Shaheed police constable Muhammad Hanif killed in encounter with robbers in DHA area on Monday afternoon.
At least 140 PPP supporters and activists were killed and another 140 injured in two bomb explosions at the rally of Shaheed Mohatarma Benazir Bhutto when the rally was passing from Karsaz Road on October 18, 2007.
The chairperson of PPP had escaped unhurt in that attack.
Mirza said this year proved to be very tough for the policemen as 49 from their ranks were killed and over 100 injured in fighting terrorists and outlaws in Sindh province compared to the previous year.
He said that 1,900 personnel of Sindh police have embraced martyrdom in line of duty since 1982. “It is the highest figure compared to other provinces in the country,” he added.
To a question about equipment to police, the AIGP said that President Asif Ali Zardari has already approved a package to improve the position of Sindh Police and added that 15 APCs will be delivered to the department while an additional 11 will be received early next year.
About the compensation to the family of the Shaheed policeman, Muhammad Hanif, the AIGP said that under package announced in 2010, the Shaheed’s family will be given Rs 2.2 million as cash reward and his son will be given job in the police department while the family could keep the house till the superannuation period of the Shaheed constable.
Earlier, AIGP Saud Mirza and other senior police officers in large number attended the funeral of the constable at Police Lines Garden.