Sacked for not signing govt affidavit says Lodhi
ISLAMABAD: Former Defence Secretary Lt. General Khalid Naeem Lodhi on Friday said that he was sacked for not signing a government’s affidavit in memogate case, DawnNews reported.
“How could I sign a statement which was not mine” said Lodhi.
He said that he has decided to move court over his unjust removal.
The former secretary said that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani did not give any reason for his dismissal and there was no show-cause notice issued nor was there any inquiry.
Lodhi said he was sacked because he did not sign the government’s affidavit in the memogate case.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement: “General Lodhi was dismissed for gross misconduct and illegal action … and for creating misunderstanding between institutions.”
The government gave additional charge of the defence ministry to Cabinet Secretary Nargis Sethi.
Mr Gilani further explained: “Under the rules of business, the defence secretary did not get the summary in writing or sought confirmation from the minister and bypassed the Ministry of Law and Justice and sent a copy of replies to the attorney general and also sent the reply directly to the Supreme Court registrar.” He said Gen Lodhi had been removed after “thoroughly investigating the matter”, adding that the former defence secretary had himself conceded that he did not get the replies approved by the defence minister or the attorney general.
“And he has written himself that neither the minister nor the attorney general was available. We have nothing against anybody.”
Gen Lodhi, who took over as the defence secretary on November 28 last year, was considered to be a close confidant of Gen Kayani.