India hands Pakistan evidence against Hafiz Saeed
ISLAMABAD: India has submitted new evidence against Jamaat ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed in the ongoing dialogue between the two nuclear-powered neighbours, DawnNews reported.
“We have given new evidence to Pakistan regarding Hafiz Saeed’s involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks,” Indian Interior Secretary R K Singh, who is leading his delegation in Islamabad, told media representatives on Thursday.
Moreover, the Indian secretary said that they had also briefed the Pakistani delegation on the progress in the Samjhota Express investigations.
The talks, scheduled to last for a period of two days, commenced today with the Pakistani delegation led by Interior Secretary Siddique Akbar Khwaja. Thursday’s talks were expected to focus on cooperation between the two countries on issues pertaining to security and drug trafficking.
The Pakistani interior secretary said that both delegations are of the view regarding relaxation of the visa policy between the two countries.
Earlier before talks began, the Indian secretary said that his country was not satisfied with Pakistan’s investigations into the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
Singh said the judicial proceedings going on in Pakistan pertaining to the Mumbai attack were very slow.
The Indian interior secretary moreover said that “a number of suspects were never arrested”.
The Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) founder, Hafiz Saeed is accused of masterminding the 2008 attacks in Mumbai. Earlier this month, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, while on a visit to India, blamed Pakistan of “not doing enough” against Saeed.
Pakistan had demanded proof of his involvement in terrorism, which is good enough to stand in court of law.
“Our position on Hafiz Saeed is clear. We have independent and active courts. If anyone has proof against him, they should share it with us so that the courts can examine it,” Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan had said.