Fazl assails decision to reopen Nato routes
KARACHI, July 4: Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-F chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman has criticised the government’s decision to restore Nato supplies and said it appeared that Pakistan, and not the United States, had extended apology over the Salala border post attack.
Talking to reporters during his visit to a mosque here on Wednesday, he said the decision was against resolutions adopted by parliament, adding that being a sovereign state, Pakistan ought to take decisions independently.
He said that if any new agreement had been signed with the US, it should be brought before the National Security Committee. If the government was unable to resist the pressure why did it block the Nato supplies, the Maulana asked.
“The US and Nato forces are killing our brothers in Afghanistan and with the restoration of Nato supplies we will be equally responsible for the crimes committed by them,” he said. In reply to a question, the JUI-F chief said that holding dual nationality was a different matter than becoming a voter and a member of parliament.
Elaborating further, he said if the government signed an agreement with India, Iran and Afghanistan which allowed their citizens to get Pakistani nationality, cast their vote and become members of parliament, and after becoming member of parliament one of them could get himself elected as prime minister, would such a prime minister would be acceptable to Pakistan.
He recalled that in the past Moin Qureshi and Shaukat Aziz had been inducted as prime minister and after removal from the office they went back to the countries they came from. “When the nation had gone through such experience of dual nationality, how could one remain merely a silent spectator,” the Maulana asked.