Attack on Iran-bound bus kills 18 near Turbat
QUETTA: At least 18 people were killed on Friday, when unidentified motorcycle riders opened fire on an Iran-bound bus near Turbat in Balochistan, DawnNews reported.
According to government’s official sources, four armed assailants, riding two motorcycles, attacked the bus, killing at least 18 people on the spot. Two others sustained severe injuries and were being shifted to Civil Hospital, sources added.
Attackers successfully fled away from the site.
Sources said that the dead were leaving for Iran to find labour and belonged to Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Police and other security agencies have cordoned off the area and initiated an investigation.
This route is normally used by Shia pilgrims travelling to and from Iran. Though the ethnicity of those targeted on Friday was not immediately known.
AP adds: Abdul Razzaq, a government official, said eighteen were killed and two people were wounded in Friday’s attack in Turbat.
He said the dead and wounded were Pakistanis trying to travel with the help of smugglers to Europe through Iran. He said officers were still investigating the shooting and provided no further details.
Earlier this month, 15 Shia Muslims belonging to the Hazara community were killed after gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying 50 passengers was travelling from Taftan to Quetta. The banned Lashkar-i-Jhangvi had claimed for the attack.