QUETTA, July 5: Police have arrested three alleged target killers, involved in the killing of some Ulema, after heavy exchange of fire in the provincial capital.

This was disclosed on Thursday evening by Deputy Inspector General (Investigations) Hamid Shakeel at a press conference. City SP Khalid Manzoor and other senior officers were present on the occasion. “They confessed to the murder of seven important religious and other personalities in different areas of Quetta,” Mr Shakeel said.

He said that during patrolling personnel of Jinnah Town police station saw the three suspects on motorbike and began chasing them. The policemen asked the three to stop but instead of doing so they began firing on the law-enforcement personnel.

However, after an exchange of fire, the policemen managed to arrest the three alleged killers.

Mr Shakeel said the three suspects — Jahangir Haider Shah, Nadeem Abbas and Qaisar Abbas — belonged to Dera Ismail Khan and had come over to Quetta on a mission to kill people.

Soon after making the arrests, the police raided the suspects’ house in Faisal Town and recovered a motorbike, weapons, their national identity cards and some important documents.

Mr Shakeel said that during interrogation the three men confessed that they were headed for Killi Ismail area to attack an important personality. He added that they had confessed to killing Maulana Abdul Karim Mengal, Hafiz Abdul Basit, Qari Abdul Jalil, Maulana Faizullah, Qari Yasin Abbasi, Farooq Bangulzai and former Union Council nazim Saleem Jadoon.

‘Al Qaeda, Taliban’

Security forces arrested on Wednesday night 12 suspected members of Al Qaeda and Taliban from Zhob area, near Balochistan-Khyber Pakhtunkhwa border, and recovered a huge quantity of arms and ammunition.

“The arrested men include eight Turks, three Chechens and a resident of Waziristan,” a source in Zhob said.

He said that security forces deployed in the area to monitor movement of the suspected Taliban and other people intercepted a group of people who crossed into the Mughal-Kot area of Sambaza in Zhob district in a vehicle. During search, a huge quantity of arms and ammunition, including hand-grenades, machine-guns and important documents were recovered from their possession. “Turkish and Chechen suspects were handed over the authorities concerned for interrogation,” the sources said.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

THE negotiations aimed at ending the US-Israel war on Iran underscore how far apart Washington and Tehran still seem...
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...