Toy shops gutted in Shahalam
LAHORE, July 30: Toys and other merchandise worth millions was reduced to ashes after a huge fire broke out in two shops which also engulfed three other outlets near China Centre, Fawara Chowk, Shahalam market, on Monday.
Rescuers have blamed frequent power fluctuations and outages for most of the blazes in the area.
Fire-fighters of Rescue 1122 and City Fire Brigade brought the blaze under control after one-and-a-half-hours effort.
The Rescue 1122 spokesman said two toy shops situated at the fourth floor of a five-storey building initially caught fire around 10pm and were completely burnt.
He said three adjacent shops were also partially affected by the fire. It was too hot inside the affected shops to estimate losses, he added.
Meanwhile, valuables worth thousands were reduced to ashes after a fire broke out in a house in F-Block, Model Town, following power short-circuiting.
arrested: Police claim to have arrested two alleged robbers who belonged to a banned outfit in the past.
A senior police official said Hameedullah and Ahmad Gul, both residents of Kohat, were taken into custody at a picket in Ghaziabad area three days ago.
He said the Ghaziabad police handed over the suspects to the Organised Crime (Crimes Investigation Agency) police for interrogation.
ACCIDENT: Two people were killed in separate road accidents in the city on Monday.
Shahdara police said 19-year-old Wajid Ali of Ferozwala was hit and killed by a bus near GT Road.
Sabzazar police said Abid of Pattoki was killed by a vehicle on Multan Road.
House burgled: Unidentified people stole Rs25,000 and other valuables from the house of an elderly citizen in Shalimar Town in Baghbanpura police limits on Monday night.
Khalid Shafique Butt told police he returned home after Taraveeh prayers to find the grill of a side door broken and cash and valuables missing from a safe.