Govt has no intention to block unregistered SIMs immediately: Malik
ISLAMABAD: Federal Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Thursday clarified that the government has no intention of blocking all unregistered SIMs immediately as it would cause inconvenience to users besides negatively impacting on revenue.
Malik also claimed that there would have been many acts of terrorism if cellular service was not suspended in four cities of the country on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr.
Speaking during an interview with Radio Pakistan, the interior minister said government had definite information about a conspiracy hatched to destabilise the country and designs of enemies were foiled through effective coordination among intelligence and law enforcing agencies.
Commenting on SIMs issue, he said a meeting of all stakeholders would be convened to firm up strategy on how to deal with issuance of SIMs against fake identity cards or in name of someone else.
The minister proposed that SIMs should be verified against thumb impression of applicants through database of National Database & Regulatory Authority (NADRA.)
SIMs’ issue would be resolved keeping in view foreign investment and interests of cellular operators, said Malik, adding that a mechanism would be devised to ensure that mobile phones are not used as tool for terrorist activities.
Earlier on Tuesday, the interior minister said that the government is planning to block pre-paid SIMs issued on fake national identity cards in order to prevent their use in terrorist activities.