Scholarships for Balochistan scholars
ISLAMABAD, Sept 13: The Higher Education Commission (HEC) has decided to award 600 masters’ leading to PhD scholarships worth Rs3.13 billion to the natives of Balochistan. The scholarships will be awarded under the “Aghaz Haqooq-i-Balochistan package” announced on August 30, 2012. However, the scholars after completing their PhDs will have to serve in Balochistan for at least five years after completion of their courses.
The project will supplement the government’s efforts to focus on human resource development in Pakistan. It will also provide incentives to the talented students of Balochistan to achieve excellence in their area of interest and ensure availability of trained manpower for research and development in basic sciences, agriculture, life sciences and engineering and technology, arts, languages and social sciences.
According to media coordinator of HEC, Murtaza Noor, 400 indigenous and 200 overseas scholarships for masters/MS leading to PhD studies would be awarded to the natives of all 30 districts of Balochistan.
Furthermore, 25 per cent scholarships have been reserved for in-service government, R&D organisations/faculty members and employees of universities, colleges/degree-awarding institutes and remaining 75 per cent will be awarded on open merit.
The HEC has already awarded 1,200 scholarships to students of Balochistan under the “Provision of higher education opportunities for Balochistan and Fata” project during the last four years. Under the second and new phase of the project, 1,300 scholarships will also be awarded to the students of Balochistan and Fata. The HEC has also arranged foundation course for 684 students of Balochistan at Quetta. To date, 66 scholars have completed their studies.