mobile-phone-670
The image shows a woman using a mobile phone. — Photo by Eefa Khalid

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Thursday barred the government from suspending mobile phone services, DawnNews reported.

However, after hearing a petition requesting the court to bar the government from suspending mobile phone services, the high court also ordered that if necessary, the government could implement the measure with the approval of the president.

Earlier on Sept 23, sources in the interior ministry had said that mobile phone services may be suspended in some parts of the country during Eidul Azha days because of risks of terrorist attacks.

Sources had told Dawn that the ministry had received warnings from security agencies about possibility of incidents of terrorism during Eidul Azha and terrorists may use mobile phones to detonate explosive devices and communicate with each other to organise attacks.

Earlier during Eidul Fitr, cellular services were blocked in Karachi, Lahore, Quetta, Multan and some other parts of the country.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...