PML-N slams Malik over ISI case probe offer
LAHORE, Nov 1: The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz criticised Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Thursday for ‘overstepping’ his mandate by offering the PML-N leadership people of its choice to investigate the issue of ISI funds in the Asghar Khan case.
“As FIA rules and regulations do not allow the minister to appoint any investigator in the cases tasked to the agencies, Rehman Malik is misusing his office to make such a statement for cheap publicity,” PML-N media coordinator Mohammad Mehdi said at a press conference.
Mr Mehdi also chided the minister for asking the Sharifs to quit politics because of the Supreme Court verdict in the case and said Mr Malik himself was the only person declared not truthful (sadiq) and trustworthy (ameen) by the apex court and hence he had no moral grounds to raise his finger at others.
Referring to central Punjab PPP President Manzoor Wattoo’s claim of ‘conquering’ the province for the party, the PML-N leader said Mr Wattoo had earlier tried to ‘conquer’ Punjab with the help of PPP in 1993-95 but then he had to seek refuge in the Sharif camp.
“Mr Wattoo must keep in mind that he might have to seek shelter again after having been (mis)used by the PPP.”
Mr Mehdi also criticised Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf and said the ‘fan group’ had failed to implement its announcement of protesting outside UN offices in New York on Oct 24 against drone attacks in the country.