Vettel focussed on title bid, not Alonso
AUSTIN: Sebastian Vettel said he will keep his head down and focus on his job and nothing else in Sunday’s United States Grand Prix after claiming pole on Saturday to move within sight of a record third consecutive drivers world title.
The 25-year-old German, who blitzed to a dominant pole for Red Bull, shrugged aside all other issues including the plight of his championship rival Fernando Alonso of Ferrari, stressing that it is best to concentrate on the job in hand – clinching a third successive constructors’ title for Red Bull.
Vettel will start his 100th Formula One race from the 36th pole of his career and sixth of the season ahead of Lewis Hamilton of McLaren with his Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber third.
Alonso, a two-time former champion, will start eighth knowing he has to finish in the top four to stop Vettel taking the title.
Vettel said: “There’s not much to feel. We have to look after ourselves….
“I am happy we had a smooth session with no issues. Yesterday afternoon was not ideal, but these things can happen and they might happen again.
“It is the best strategy to keep your head down and try to do your best. I am very happy with the result but so far nobody has scored any points.
“We saw in the last race how quickly things can change and starting from the back gives you opportunities.
“We will focus on our race and tomorrow aim to seal the constructors’ title for the team.”
The world champion said the problems he suffered during second practice on Friday will not affect his race performance.
“Not really. We could get a decent run on lower fuel. The boys did a good job to get the car ready in time to have enough for a short run. It was very important, otherwise we would have been a little bit in the dark.
“Obviously you can’t tick all the boxes you would like for Sunday, but if anything we missed a little on the short runs. I think we can say we were quite competitive and happy with the results today.”