GUJRANWALA, Dec 27: At least eight people died while nine others were brought to the district headquarters hospital in critical condition from different parts of the city on Thursday, allegedly after ‘Tyno’ cough syrup intake.
The DHQ Hospital’s ward No.18 in charge Dr Farid Aslam confirmed that those who died took cough syrup overdose to get high on it.
As many as 19 people said to be drug addicts had allegedly died because of overdose of the same syrup in Lahore last month.
Most of those who died or were admitted to the hospital were young men who reportedly used the syrup to get intoxicated.
Sources said despite the deaths in Lahore which were highlighted by the media, the syrup was being sold at medical stores in many localities without prescription.
After syrup intake the affected people fell unconscious and were brought to the hospital. Eight of them identified as Waseem Ahmad of Shaheenabad, Iqbal of small estate, Nadeem of Qila Dedar Singh, Arshed Ali of Kotli Pir Ahmad Shah, Jaffer Hussain of Shauketabad, Younus of Garjakh, Javed of Ghulshan Colony and Munir Ahmad of Muslim Town lter died at the hospital.
The condition of Anwer of Mujahid Town, Baber Ali of Farid Town, Asad Ullah of Crown Cinema locality, Pervaiz of Popular Nursery, Bilal of Shaheenabad, Amjed of Zahid Colony, Muzaffer Hussain and Talib of Peoples Colony was serious. The doctors referred some of them to the Mayo Hospital, Lahore, given their condition.
The family members and relatives of some of those who died alleged that many medical store owners were selling the ‘killer’ syrup without asking for prescription. When drug inspectors sealed their stores in surprise raids they got them de-sealed the next day, they complained and demanded that health department should take stern action against such people.
The health department officers concerned said a ‘stern action’ was being taken against the medical store owners involved in the business. However, they did not explain the nature of the action.