• There are 3,500 named species of mosquito,
• Malaria infects some 247 million people worldwide each year, and kills nearly one million.
• Anything that can hold water for more than a few days can be a potential breeding ground for mosquitoes.
• Mosquitoes are vectors of diseases. This means they carry and transmit a disease without getting affected themselves.· The
average life span of a female mosquito is three to 100 days. The male lives for 10 to 20 days.
• Mosquitoes breed in standing water so areas like rain gutters, tree holes, old buckets or tires with stagnant water are major breeding sites.
• A mosquito’s wings beat 300-600 times per second, which causes the irritating buzzing sound you hear just before a mosquito lands on you and bites.
• Mosquitoes have weak eyes. Carbon dioxide exhaled by humans and other animals is the key signal to mosquitoes that a potential victim is nearby. — G. T.