Balochistan already under army control, says Mengal
KARACHI, Jan 14: Former Balochistan chief minister Akhtar Mengal has said governor’s rule will not have a positive effect on the situation in the province because it has already been under the control of the army.
According to the BBC Urdu website, the Balochistan National Party – M chief said when veteran Baloch nationalist Nawab Akbar Bugti could be traced and killed in the mountains one would ask why the terrorists involved in sectarian killings could not be reached.
“No safe haven of terrorists is hidden from intelligence agencies. The army and intelligence agencies are responsible for all ills,” he said, adding that although the provincial government was incompetent, governor’s rule was no solution to Balochistan’s problems.
It was a superficial change and the situation would be the same as before, he said.
Mr Mengal said not a single member of terrorist organisations had been arrested over the past five years. The bullet-riddle bodies of Baloch activists were found dumped in different parts of the province, but terrorists were not arrested and produced before courts, he added.
He accused the elements opposed to democracy of being behind the crisis. — Dawn Monitor