QUETTA: At least six people, including a 'commander' of the proscribed Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA), were killed Thursday in an operation by security forces in Kalat district of insurgency-hit Balochistan province, security officials told DawnNews.

A spokesman for the Frontier Corps (FC) said that an operation was carried out in the Mangochar area of Kalat district Thursday morning.

The spokesman confirmed that a BLA commander was among six people killed in the offensive. He added that forces had also arrested five people from the area and that a cache of arms and ammunition was recovered from them.

The FC spokesman added that the operation was carried out following directions from the provincial administration.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...