Terror attacks part of conspiracy, says MQM
KARACHI: The Muttahida Qaumi Movement has termed the increase in target killings and incidents of terrorism in Karachi part of a well-planned conspiracy and called upon the country’s leadership to take effective steps for protecting the life and property of citizens.
In a statement issued here on Monday, the party’s Coordination Committee said that MQM chief Altaf Hussain had forewarned about the threats when terrorists started making Karachi a centre of their activities. At that time, other political and religious parties denied the reality and alleged that the Muttahida wanted to frighten the people and it was talking against a particular community.
The committee said that now media reports had highlighted that many areas in Karachi had become places similar to Waziristan where even law-enforcement personnel could not enter.
The MQM regretted that while most political and religious parties had been criticising the Sindh government over the incidents of terrorism and target killings they were still not speaking out publicly against elements responsible for violence, bloodshed and terrorism in Karachi.
It urged President Asif Zardari, Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, Interior Minister Rehman Malik and Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah to act effectively to protect the life and property of citizens of Karachi.—Staff Reporter