KANDAHAR: Gunmen have kidnapped nine deminers in Afghanistan’s restive southern province of Kandahar, officials said Tuesday.

The men, all Afghans, were being driven back from a minefield Monday when they were seized in Maiwand district, provincial spokesman Jawid Faisal told AFP.

“They had just finished their work in the area and were riding in two cars when they were taken by a group of gunmen,” he said.

Kandahar police chief General Abdul Raziq confirmed the incident. “We don’t yet know who abducted them but we have launched a search,” he said.

A Taliban spokesman talking to AFP from an undisclosed location denied the group’s involvement in the abduction.

It was not immediately clear who the deminers worked for, but there are scores of mine clearance agencies working to clear Afghanistan of landmines and other ordnance left over from more than three decades of war.

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...