HANGU: A curfew was imposed in Hangu district after an explosion targeting a Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) candidate in the district's Doaba town in Khyber Pakhtunkwa province killed ten persons and injured 22 others on Tuesday, DawnNews reported.

JUI-F's candidate from PK-43 constituency, Mufti Syed Janan told Dawn.com that he and his two bodyguards were also injured in the attack but his condition was out of danger.

Hospital sources said that there were 11 children were among the injured.

DPO Hangu Mohammad Sajjad told Dawn.com that the bomb was planted on a motorcycle near the venue of the rally. He did not specify the nature of detonator used in the attack.

Rescue and emergency team rushed to the site of attack and the victims were shifted to nearby hospitals.

Security forces cordoned off the site of attack as a probe into the incident went underway.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...