QUETTA: The Balochistan Assembly formally elected National Party (NP) chief Dr Abdul Malik Baloch as the chief minister of the province on Sunday.

Dr Baloch will take oath of his office at 6 pm today at the Governor House.

In his address to the Balochistan Assembly today, Dr Baloch said that the missing persons issue was currently the most serious problem and holds the utmost priority.

While announcing a stop to secret funds he said that if he failed his test as the Chief Minister, then he may be punished as deemed fit.

He also said that for the sake of maintaining peace in the province, he would consult scholars, and all stakeholders will also be approached.

Dr Baloch went on to appeal to the Baloch armed groups to participate in dialogue for the sake of betterment for Balochistan.

He thanked Nawaz Sharif on the occasion and said that the military leadership and him should work together to try and resolve all problems.

Earlier on Saturday, Baloch was elected unopposed as the chief minister of Balochistan.

Dr Baloch was the joint candidate of three parties — the NP, Pakistan Muslim League – Nawaz (PML-N) and Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party — but after the support extended to him by the Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam – Fazl (JUI-F) he became a consensus candidate of all parties in the Balochistan Assembly.

Prime Minister Mian Nawaz Sharif had nominated him for the post after meeting leaders of allied parties in Murree last week.

Dr Malik was the only one to have filed his nomination papers in the assembly secretariat for the chief minister’s election.

His candidature was proposed by Nawab Mohammad Khan Shahwani and seconded by Rehmat Baloch of the National Party.

NO END TO BULLET-RIDDLED BODIES

Five bullet-riddled bodies were recovered in different parts of Balochistan on Sunday, June 9.

According to levies sources, three bodies were found in Johan area of Kalat. They said that the dead bodies were almost one month old. The victims belonged to Bibi Nani area of Bolan district and they were kidnapped a month ago by armed gunmen.

Meanwhile, police also recovered two bullet riddled bodies in Khuzdar town of Balochistan. A police official who requested not to be named told Dawn.com that the two bodies were found in Irrigation colony area of Khuzdar. The dead bodies were shifted to civil hospital Khuzdar for postmortem.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

The bodies are found at a time when the newly elected Chief Minister Dr Malik Baloch has promised an end to mutilated bodies.

Dr Baloch has repeatedly stated that recovery of missing persons was his priority.

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...