ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan on Monday presented a preliminary report on the attack on Jinnah’s Ziarat residency in the National Assembly.

Speaking on the floor of the House, the interior minister said a joint investigation team had been constituted to investigate the attack on the building in which the Quaid-i-Azam spent the last days of his life in 1948.

The Balochistan Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the strike.

Nisar said two of the security guards posted at the Ziarat residency had been taken in for questioning.

The minister also asked as to why the guards failed to inform the police upon hearing suspicious noises indicating that an attack was taking place.

The bombing sent a wave of shock and horror among the populace in Ziarat, a quaint and quiet place which hitherto knew nothing of bomb explosions.

Ziarat, located at more than 2,500 metres above sea level and surrounded by Juniper trees, is a popular tourist site. The two-storey residency was built in 1892 and formerly used by representatives of the British government in India.

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...