Bomb kills eight Afghan workers of mining firm

Published
0

KABUL: A provincial governor says a vehicle carrying employees of a private mining company has struck a roadside bomb in northern Afghanistan, killing eight.

Parwan province leader Abdul Basir Salangi says five people also were wounded on Saturday in Bagram district. He says all of the victims were either labourers or security guards of the company working in a chromite mine. No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing, but, in confirming the incident on Sunday, Salangi blamed the Afghan Taliban.

The Taliban have previously targeted people working for mines as well as other development and infrastructure projects in Afghanistan.

The militants have recently escalated their activities in the country as US-led foreign troops have begun drawing down their presence.—AP

Opinion

Editorial

Work in progress
Updated 17 Aug, 2026

Work in progress

THE State Bank governor’s optimistic assessment of the economy must be seen in the context of the reality hidden...
Unfit supplies
17 Aug, 2026

Unfit supplies

A SYRINGE in a public hospital should be among the simplest guarantees of safety. Yet Sindh’s Public Accounts...
Israel’s war on life
17 Aug, 2026

Israel’s war on life

A FINANCIAL Times investigation into southern Lebanon shows how Israel’s brutal military campaign has torn ...
Balochistan’s wounds
Updated 16 Aug, 2026

Balochistan’s wounds

The state has alienated even those political elements in Baloch society that have been peacefully pursuing their rights.
Tax scheme
16 Aug, 2026

Tax scheme

THE Hyderabad SITE Association of Trade and Industry has formally endorsed new measures introduced to ease...
In choppy waters
16 Aug, 2026

In choppy waters

MORE than three months after Somali pirates captured an oil tanker carrying a multinational crew, including 11...