QUETTA: Two rockets were fired at the helicopter carrying Chairman of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Major General Mohammad Saeed Aleem, in Balochistan's Awaran district on Thursday, a security official said.

A security official who did not want to be named told Dawn.com that militants fired two rockets at the helicopter of chairman NDMA in Mashkay tehsil of earthquake affected Awaran district.

"The NDMA chairman is safe", the official added.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack.

Major General Samraiz Salik was also accompanying the chairman NDMA when rockets were fired.

Relief and rescue workers have been facing difficulties in reaching out to earthquake survivors and threats loom over security forces engaged in a massive relief and rescue operation in Balochistan's Awaran district.

"There are long distances and security threats," Jan Buledi, the spokesman for the Balochistan government told Dawn.com.

Awaran is considered to be one of the most sensitive and troubled districts of Balochistan.

It is also the hometown of Baloch guerrila commander, Dr Allah Nazar Baloch.

Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Malik Baloch has already made an appeal to Dr Allah Naar Baloch to cooperate with aid agencies to support earthquake survivors.

"If there was no cooperation on the part of Allah Nazar, the survivors would die of hunger", Dr Baloch said.

Security forces blame Allah Nazar for carrying subversive activities in different parts of Balochistan.

Moreover, the defunct Baloch Liberation Front, which is known for targeting security forces and vital national installations, is also active in the area.

The latest incident comes two days after the militants opened fire at a vehicle at Mashkay check post near Awaran.

There was no loss of human life in either attack.

FC convoy attacked in Balochistan

Meanwhile, armed militants attacked a convoy of paramilitary troops in Balochistan's earthquake affected Awaran district, an intelligence official said.

The official, who requested not to be named, told Dawn.com that armed men opened fire at a convoy of Frontier Corps (FC) near Awaran town.

He said the FC personnel were engaged in relief work when attacked by militants.

"The attack was followed by an exchange of fire," the official said. The militants sped away in their vehicles.

However, more FC personnel were called in the area to chase the attackers. There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack.

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...