LONDON: British police on Sunday charged two men with terror offences after they were arrested during a dramatic counter-terrorism operation in London last week.

A 25-year-old man is accused of preparing acts of terrorism while he and another 25-year-old man are suspected of gathering information which could be used in a terror act, London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Both men will appear in court on Monday to face charges under Britain's Terrorism Acts of 2000 and 2006.

Two other men arrested during the October 13 swoop, in which armed officers shot the tyres of a car near the Tower of London, were released on Saturday.

A 29-year-old and a 28-year-old, Britons of Pakistani and Azerbaijani origin respectively, were released without charge, police said.

The BBC quoted unnamed officials as saying the suspects were accused of a “serious” jihadist plot involving the use of firearms.

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...