Taliban claim attack on Karachi navy dockyard

Published September 9, 2014
Photo by Shazia Hasan
Photo by Shazia Hasan

KARACHI: The Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the attack on a naval dockyard on the weekend, claiming they had inside help.

Taliban militants attacked a Karachi naval dockyard in a raid which left an officer and two insurgents dead, officials said Tuesday.

“We claim responsibility for the attack on the navy in Karachi,” spokesman Shahidullah Shahid told AFP.

“We had support from inside the naval force for this attack. This operation was successful because of this support. We will continue targeting security forces like this in future also,” he added.

The Navy said in a statement late on Monday night that “on Saturday a group of miscreants tried to penetrate Pakistan Navy Dockyard area defences at Karachi. Pakistan Navy security personnel responded valiantly and in the ensuing encoun­ter killed two while apprehending four miscreants alive”.

After interrogating the suspects, the navy said in a statement that intelligence agencies had carried out raids to arrest suspected collaborators and accomplices and had recovered “a large quantity of arms and ammunition”.


Ex-navy man killed


City police chief Ghulam Qadir Thebo on Tuesday said that former navy official Owais Jhakrani — the son of AIG Ali Sher Jhakrani — was killed in the attack.

Thebo said that Owais was involved in the navy dockyard attack, and that his body was recovered in the Kala Pani area in the jurisdiction of the Docks police station.

The navy, however, said it had no information on Owais’ involvement, but confirmed that he left naval services a few months ago. The naval spokesperson said that two militants had been killed and that it had no information on Owais' link to the attack.

According to Thebo, Owais’ body has been taken by relatives for burial.

The Taliban have already threatened a bloody response to a military offensive against insurgents in the North Waziristan tribal region on the Afghan border.

The military launched the offensive in mid-June shortly after a brazen attack on Karachi airport that left dozens dead and extinguished a largely fruitless peace process with the TTP.

The weekend raid was the latest in a series of high-profile attacks on key installations by the Taliban in recent years, including an 2011 assault on a naval base, also in Karachi, and on the military's headquarters in 2009.

The army says it has killed more than 900 militants and lost 82 soldiers since the start of the operation.

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...