ISLAMABAD: Drawing the Foreign Office into a controversy over Saudi Arabia’s alleged funding of extremist groups in Pakistan, the kingdom’s embassy in Islamabad said on Monday that the FO had been certifying that Riyadh’s financial support for mosques and seminaries was in public interest.

In a statement, the first since the controversy over Saudi funding of seminaries erupted following the adoption of the National Action Plan against terrorism, the embassy said all requests for financial assistance were referred to the Foreign Office for clearance.

“In fact whenever any seminary, mosque or charity org­anisation requests the King­dom of Saudi Arabia for fina­ncial assistance, the embassy refers the matter to the Gove­r­nment of Pakistan through the Ministry of Foreign Aff­airs for examining the suitability of the applicant for fina­ncial assistance,” the emba­ssy said. It said the money was disbursed after the FO’s certification that the funds “ser­ved the interest of public welfare”.

The Senate was informed last month that seminaries were being funded by Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Iran and the UAE.


Embassy says all requests for financial assistance referred to Foreign Office


Diplomatic sources said that the Saudi charge d’affaires had been called by the Ministry of Interior for discussing the Saudi funding of seminaries.

But, the embassy’s statement chose to blame the media for “propagating false impression” that the kingdom was sponsoring extremism through financial assistance for seminaries. It apparently happened because of the me­d­ia’s strong criticism of alleged funding by Saudi Arabia.

The embassy only spoke about the financial assistance given to seminaries, mosques and charities through official channels, ignoring the substantial amount that had been reportedly flowing in from private Saudi individuals and charities through illegal means.

Former ambassador of Saudi Arabia Abdul Aziz Al Ghadeer, in his first interview with Dawn in 2009, had said the Saudi government had little control over flow of funds from private sources.

The embassy said the kingdom was coordinating counter-terror measures with the Pakistan government and ensuring that “philanthropic and humanitarian assistance does not fall into the hands of extremist elements”.

Published in Dawn, February 10th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...