Projects without public consent not acceptable, says Mengal

Published February 25, 2015
QUETTA: PPP leader Mir Sadiq Umrani talks to BNP-M chief Sardar Akhtar Mengal during a meeting here on Tuesday.—INP
QUETTA: PPP leader Mir Sadiq Umrani talks to BNP-M chief Sardar Akhtar Mengal during a meeting here on Tuesday.—INP

QUETTA: Referring to the Pak-China Economic Cor­ridor project, Balochistan National Party (BNP) Chief Organiser Sardar Akhtar Mengal has said that no mega development project is acceptable without prior approval of the people of the area where it is executed.

He claimed that the federal government had not taken the provincial government into confidence while entering into an agreement with the Chinese government on the economic corridor project.

Know more: Pak-EPA denies clearance to portion of economic corridor

Talking to journalists here on Tuesday after meeting Mir Sadiq Umrani, the president of the Balochistan chapter of the PPP, the BNP leader alleged that the then military ruler Pervez Musharraf had launched a military operation in the province just to start work on the Gwadar seaport.

He said people of Gwadar had been ignored during the process of construction of a seaport in the town therefore “we cannot endorse such development project which violate the rights of indigenous population”.

The BNP leader asserted that since 1948 they were struggling for the ownership of Baloch people over the resources and coast of Balochistan but the “usurpers, instead of accepting the demand, have resorted to violence to quell the political movement for national rights”.

Expressing dissatisfaction over the situation prevailing in the province, he said despite last year’s change in government, the situation had not improved as dumping of bodies, disappearance of people and illegal arrests had continued and the provincial government had failed to redress problems faced by people.

Sadiq Umrani said Balochistan people had reservations over the change being made in the route of the economic corridor.

He was critical of the performance of the provincial government as neither it could curb corruption nor improve law and order situation.

Published in Dawn, February 25th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...