Pakistani man accused of planning Toronto attack kept in custody

Published March 16, 2015
The Canadian government is seeking to deport Jahanzeb Malik as a security threat rather than charge him with criminal offenses.-Reuters/File
The Canadian government is seeking to deport Jahanzeb Malik as a security threat rather than charge him with criminal offenses.-Reuters/File

TORONTO: A Pakistani man accused of planning to bomb the US consulate in Toronto and other targets in the city's financial district will remain in custody pending an immigration review in April, Canadian media reported on Monday.

Jahanzeb Malik, 33, said little as he appeared by videolink before the brief immigration hearing at a jail in Lindsay, Ontario, northeast of Toronto, the reports said. He was told he would be detained until his next hearing on the grounds he may be “a danger to the public”.

The Canadian government, which has said Malik was inspired by Islamic State, is seeking to deport him as a security threat rather than charge him with criminal offenses.

That strategy has been criticised as irresponsible by human rights lawyers. The deportation process can take months but the threshold for proof of guilt is far lower than in criminal law.

Malik's next review hearing is set for April 14, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp said.

Malik was befriended by an undercover Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer during a long investigation into the activities of the former student, who has a record of travel to Pakistan and allegedly underwent combat training in Libya, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) said last week.

The accusations against him have not been proven in court, and Malik's lawyer could not immediately be reached for comment.

Canada has been on heightened alert since a gunman attacked the Parliament building in Ottawa in October after fatally shooting a soldier at a nearby war memorial. The attack by a so-called “lone wolf” Canadian convert to Islam came two days after another convert rammed two soldiers in Quebec with his car, killing one.

Malik, who came to Canada as a student in 2004 and became a permanent resident in 2009, told the undercover officer of his plans to make a video of the bombings he had planned, to encourage others, the CBSA said.

Authorities also said he claimed to be a personal friend of US cleric Anwar Al-Awlaki, who was killed in a US drone strike on Yemen in 2011.

Another Pakistani man suspected of militant links, Muhammad Aqeeq Ansari, is also being held by Canada awaiting possible deportation.

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...