Trump unveils first TV campaign ad, urges ban on Muslims

Published January 5, 2016
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump addresses a gathering during a campaign stop at the Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass., Monday, Jan. 4, 2016. -AP
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump addresses a gathering during a campaign stop at the Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass., Monday, Jan. 4, 2016. -AP

NEW YORK: Republican frontrunner Donald Trump on Monday unveiled his first TV ad of the presidential election campaign, demanding a ban on Muslims entering the United States and vowing to decapitate the militant Islamic State (IS) group.

The 30-second ad will be broadcast in Iowa and New Hampshire from Tuesday, costing $2 million a week ahead of the state’s first-in-the-nation voting contests, his campaign said.

“The politicians can pretend it’s something else but Donald Trump calls it radical Islamic terrorism — that’s why he’s calling for a temporary shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,” says the voiceover on the ad.

The commercial opens with footage of the billionaire candidate addressing a rally before segueing into an image of President Barack Obama and Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and then mug shots of the couple responsible for the San Bernardino killings last month.

“He’ll quickly cut off the head of ISIS and take their oil,” added the male speaker, referring to the IS extremist group based in Iraq and Syria that allegedly inspired the couple. “And he’ll stop illegal immigration by building a wall on our southern border that Mexico will pay for,” the commercial added.

Iowa votes first in the nation in the nomination race, on Feb 1, followed by New Hampshire eight days later.

“I am very proud of this ad. I don’t know if I need it, but I don’t want to take any chances,” Trump said on Monday.

The real estate tycoon, who is funding his own campaign, has boasted of spending no money on political television ads until this one.

He has led the polls for months, using his bombastic and provocative style to dominate the media spotlight, without spending any of the $35 million he said he had expected to use on ads by Jan 1.

Published in Dawn, January 5th, 2016

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...