KARACHI: Number of polio cases dropped by seventy per cent in the metropolis from 23 in 2014 to just seven last year, said officials at the emergency operation centre (EOC) for polio in Sindh on Wednesday.

The figures were likely to drop further during this year, they told Karachi’s new commissioner, Asif Hyder Shah, during his visit to the EOC office.

Commissioner Shah met Sindh EOC chairperson Dr Azra Fazal Pechuho, technical coordinator Shahnaz Wazir Ali, technical focal person Dr Ahmad Ali Shaikh, and representatives of the World Health Organisation and Unicef.

While briefing the commissioner, Sindh EOC coordinator Dr Usman Chachar said all the seven cases were reported in the last quarter of 2015, while there was not a single case before October. He expressed the hope that his team’s hard work would pay off and soon lead them towards zero cases.

He said security situation as well as the provision of security had improved in Karachi while there had been a large decline in the number of children who missed campaigns.

The commissioner said he would assume the chairmanship of the Karachi Task Force for polio with the dedication required it was not just his duty as an official but also a moral obligation to safeguard the future of the children of Pakistan.

Officials said Mr Shah was known for a hands-on approach and was instrumental in the polio programme in Hyderabad where he was commissioner. He had earlier played his roles as district coordination officer of Sanghar and commissioner of Larkana.

“I understand that the rest of Sindh is different and Karachi has a different set of challenges, but with hard work we will address them,” said Mr Shah.

They decided to immediately monitor progress on the Karachi action plan, ensure adequate preparation including administrative and security arrangements, while Ms Pechuho emphasised the importance of strong accountability for success.

It was also announced that people could call at a helpline activated at the Commissioner House to lodge a complaint if vaccinators and teams did not reach their house. They could also call for polio related information.

The next campaign across Sindh will be organised from Jan 11 to 16 in 188 union councils of Karachi and 934 union councils elsewhere in Sindh with the target to cover a population of 8.2 million children.

Published in Dawn, January 7th, 2016

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...