Govt wants SC to urgently take up its appeal in Lakhvi case

Published January 3, 2015
Security personnel escort Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi (C), alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, as he leaves the court in Islamabad. — AFP/File
Security personnel escort Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi (C), alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, as he leaves the court in Islamabad. — AFP/File

ISLAMABAD: A day after filing an appeal against the Dec 29 Islamabad High Court (IHC) verdict suspending the detention orders of Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, the alleged mastermind of Mumbai attacks, the federal government requested the Supreme Court on Friday to hear the matter on an urgent basis, preferably on Jan 5.

“In the interest of justice the titled CPLA (civil petition for leave to appeal) may kindly be fixed for hearing on Jan 5 (Monday) or on any earlier date,” pleaded the fresh application moved by Advocate on Record Mohammad Siddique Khan Baloch on behalf of the government.

Also read: Afghan national’s move keeps alleged Mumbai terror mastermind in custody

The application filed under the relevant Supreme Court Rules 1980 said that several questions of public importance with regard to the constitution and law had been raised in the petition pending before the court.

In view of the grounds mentioned in the appeal, the application said, the matter in it was of urgent nature which required immediate consideration by the apex court.

On Thursday, the interior secretary, district magistrate of Islamabad Capital Territory and Senior Superintendent Police of Islamabad jointly filed an appeal in the Supreme Court against the IHC order granting conditional release of Lakhvi by suspending his detention orders issued by the Islamabad district administration soon after an anti-terrorism court (ATC) granted him bail on Dec 18.

The following day, a civil judge handed over the custody of Lakhvi to Islamabad police in connection with a six-year old ‘kidnapping’ case.

The government contended that in the aftermath of the Dec 16 Peshawar school attack there were apprehensions that Lakhvi might incite or propagate possible terrorist activities prejudicial to public peace, tranquillity and maintenance of public order.

Moreover, it said, Lakhvi was nominated in a 2009 FIR and sent to lockup on judicial remand after completing investigations. There was likelihood that the accused, along with other criminals, would cause damage to important government installations and other public places, resulting in breach of peace within the federal capital, it said, adding that possibility of any untoward incident could not be ruled out because Lakhvi was affiliated with a proscribed organisation.

Lakhvi has been behind bars since Feb 19, 2009 after an FIR was registered with the FIA’s Special Investigation Unit for allegedly training terrorists and facilitating the Mumbai attacks on Nov 26, 2008, in which 166 people were killed.

“In view of the importance of the case, it is respectfully requested that this matter (government appeal) may kindly be fixed at the earliest date,” the fresh application said.

SPECIAL BENCH: Chief Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk has constituted a special three-judge bench to hear pending appeals of convicted militants challenging the verdicts issued by the ATCs either under the Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 or the Suppression of Terrorist Activities (Special Courts) Act 1975, a law that deals with activities like sabotage, subversion and terrorism.

The bench comprising Justice Asif Saeed Khosa, Justice Iqbal Hameedur Rehman and Justice Umar Ata Bandial will take up on Monday a number of cases starting with six appeals against the issuance of death penalty by special courts.

The bench has been constituted in line with a decision taken at a meeting of chief justices of superior courts on Dec 24 in which it was held that trial of terrorism-related cases would be given priority.

The meeting also decided that offices of the Supreme Court and high courts would separate terrorism-related appeals as well as militancy-related cases so that the former could be heard on a priority basis.

Published in Dawn, January 3rd, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.