Punjab police ‘unable’ to protect Chinese workers

Published February 27, 2015
Punjab Police personnel.  — Reuters/file
Punjab Police personnel. — Reuters/file

LAHORE: The Punjab police are considering withdrawal of security from the Chinese working on private projects apparently owing to shortage of force and excessive police engagements in security and law and order duties.

The police authorities are mulling to advise three categories of Chinese to hire private security before withdrawal of officials from them.

The decision to review the security arrangements of Chinese nationals working at private projects was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by the provincial home minister on Feb 2 in which it was decided that a deadline would be given to the Chinese to arrange their own security across the province.

Officials told Dawn that the provincial government would only guard the Chinese working on its projects in future and all policemen deployed with other Chinese (working on private projects) would be withdrawn after unspecified period of time.


Advice to various categories of workers


Currently, there are 237 Chinese working in the capital city district -- 85 are working on 26 government projects while 152 others are associated with 45 private projects. As many as 176 policemen and 578 private security officials are deployed with the Chinese on private projects while 113 policemen, 36 Railway policemen and 108 private security men are guarding 85 Chinese involved in government projects.

Four police escorts also are part of security of the Chinese working on four government projects. They are being provided the police security at workplace as well as residences.

In Punjab, there are more than 4,000 foreigners, majority of them the Chinese, working on 164 government and private projects and around 3,000 officials of Elite Police Force and Special Protection Unit are deployed on their security.

A senior police officer associated with the security of the Chinese told Dawn on Thursday that no time frame had been decided for withdrawal of policemen from the Chinese employed on private projects or doing their businesses but it was getting difficult for the police to guard all of them.

He said a number of Chinese workers had been hired by private contractors, some were doing their own businesses and running companies and a few of them were doing jobs in private sector.

The officer said the police were still awaiting final nod from the government, adding that the security of all Chinese would remain with the police and private companies at least till the completion of Chinese president’s Pakistan visit in the fourth week of March.

Published in Dawn, February 27th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...