KARACHI: Showing flexibility over his long-standing stance, Brahamdagh Bugti, the self-exiled leader of the separatist Baloch Republi­can Party (BRP), said in an interview on Wednesday that he was ready to give up his demand for an independent Balochistan if the Baloch so desired.

Mr Bugti, who had left for Afghanistan after his grandfather Nawab Akbar Bugti’s death in a military raid to lead guerilla resistance, spoke to the BBC on the ninth death anniversary of the nationalist leader. He made it clear that a peaceful resolution of the enduring conflict would not be without conditions.

While fleeing Afghanis­tan, he had alleged that Gen Pervez Musharraf’s regime wanted to kill him after eliminating his grandfather. He won refuge in Afghanis­tan despite Pakistan’s demand for his return and moved to Europe in 2010 along with his family.

With reports of hundreds of members of the banned militant organisations having surrendered in Balo­chistan recently and speculations rife that the authorities are negotiating with some exiled separatist leaders who want assurances of safety in return for giving up militancy, Mr Bugti’s peace offer indicates a radical change in Baloch politics.

“It is really hard to negotiate on the conflict when the bloodletting still continues. That’s why our standpoint is clear: the operation (in Balochistan) be stopped and all the forces be withdrawn. Once this materialises, it could provide conducive environment for dialogue,” Mr Bugti, who lives in Switzerland, said.

Until recently, the BRP chief had been a staunch opponent of a peaceful solution to end the conflict and refused to consider any way out other than a free Balochistan. He had repeatedly stated that time for reconciliation on the dispute afflicting the province had gone and thinking of such a prospect would never be on his agenda.

The publishing of the interview in sync with Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan’s presence in London has intrigued quite a few observers.

The minister is visiting the British capital where he is expected to discuss, among other issues, the presence of certain Baloch separatists in the United Kingdom with the country’s authorities.

The government has recently sent out quite a few indications that it is giving serious thought to holding negotiations with Baloch leaders. The most notable was a meeting between the Khan of Kalat and Nawab Sanaullah Zehri, a PML-N leader, in London on Aug 15.

Mr Bugti rebuffed speculation that he had been contacted by the minister, but maintained that he wanted to resolve all the issues politically and in a peaceful manner.

“We are ready to meet him if he desires so because we are political people and want peaceful solution to the problems. Isn’t it silly when one says he wants to resolve the issues on table and we say no?”

He said he had been contacted several times in the past by the Pakistani authorities but none of those efforts was serious.

“Rehman Malik (former interior minister) had talked to us during the PPP government, but when we contacted (ex-president) Mr Zardari he said you should speak to ‘those’ people, whereas the army and the establishment did not want to talk to us,” Mr Bugti said.

He claimed the establishment had suffered a defeat in a way on the Balochistan issue and it would have to concede that its modus operandi was wrong and had to come forward for peaceful negotiations.

“What difference the bloodletting, arrests, enfor­ced disappearances and dec­omposed bodies have made? Has it changed the Baloch mindset or hardened their stance?”

Asked what would be his reaction if the establishment called for withdrawal of the demand for a free Balochis­tan as a precondition for dialogue, he said: “We are ready to live with Pakistan if the majority of our friends, comrades, political allies and people desire it.”

Admitting that his strength was no match for the armed forces, he said the army wanted to solve every problem with might, which was a wrong tactic. “It was the army that had worsened the situation in Balochistan and it will itself get the situation better as well. Bloodshed and use of power will bring no good.”

Commenting on the allegation that his group was getting Indian assistance, Mr Bugti said “we won’t decline if India offers to assist us because everyone could seek assistance from anyone for defence”.

“We can seek help from the United Nations and America (United States) because it was not India that had asked for the operation in Balochistan. It shows that the establishment goes for such tricks only to hide its own failures.”

Published in Dawn, August 27th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.