KARACHI: Two lawyers engaged by the government around two months ago to represent the state in the Safoora Goth bus carnage trial decided to step down in view of security fears, it emerged on Tuesday.

In August, the provincial authorities notified a two-member prosecution team comprising advocates Mohammad Khan Buriro and Mubashir Mirza — who have previously served as prosecutors in antiterrorism courts — in the Safoora bus carnage case.

Sharing their grievances with Dawn, the prosecutors said that they had sent a series of letters to the provincial home department seeking Rangers’ protection, a safe accommodation during the trial and release of their professional fee in advance.

They said that as the held suspects were affiliated with a globally declared terrorist organisation, Al Qaeda, and the self-styled Islamic State group, it was almost impossible for them to pursue the case without proper security.

They regretted that their pleas for security and safe accommodation were not entertained.

About their fee, the lawyers said that although it was a high-profile case a small amount of Rs150,000 each was released as their professional fees. This amount was usually paid to prosecutors representing the state against an accused in an illicit weapon case, they added.

The duo said that they had communicated to the authorities concerned that they were dissociating themselves from the case.

They said that they would tender their resignations on Wednesday (today).

Tahir Hussain Minhas alias Sain, Saad Aziz alias Tin Tin, Asad-ur-Rehman alias Malik, Hafiz Nasir alias Yasir and Muhammad Azhar Ishrat alias Majid have been booked and arrested for their alleged involvement in the killing of 45 people of the Shia Ismaili community, including 18 women, in an armed attack on their bus near Safoora Goth on May 13.

Fishermen Cooperative Society vice chairman Sultan Qamar Siddiqui, his brother Hussain Qamar Siddiqui and Sajid Naeem are also in police custody for allegedly helping the main suspects.

The bail applications of suspects Sultan and Sajid are also fixed for hearing on Oct 22.

A few days ago, the Counter-Terrorism Department of police also detained two businessmen for three months for allegedly financing the deadly attack.

Sources said that the trial was unlikely to commence any time soon since a final investigation report was still awaited.

Published in Dawn, October 21st, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.