Safoora Goth, Sabeen Mahmud cases transferred to military courts

Published December 11, 2015
A photo of the bus that was attacked at Karachi's Safoora Goth in May. – AFP/file
A photo of the bus that was attacked at Karachi's Safoora Goth in May. – AFP/file

KARACHI: The Ministry of Interior has approved the transfer and trial of 18 cases, including the Safoora Goth massacre and the murder of Sabeen Mahmud, to military courts.

Sources told Dawn the interior ministry has sanctioned 18 cases of Sindh for trial "strictly as per law under the Army Act 1952, as amended".

The suspects to be tried in military courts are namely, Saad Aziz, Tahir Hussain Minhas, Asad Rehman, Hafiz Nasir Ahmed, Azhar Ishrat, Sultan Qumar Siddiqui, Hussain Umer Siddiqui, Naeem Sajid and Hafiz Umer.

Also read: Sabeen Mahmud — Anatomy of a murder

The cases were earlier referred to the federal interior ministry by the home department of the provincial government.

Saad Aziz is among the prime suspects in both the Safoora Goth carnage and the murder of rights activist Sabeen Mahmud.

In October, an antiterrorism court was informed that due to security concerns, the trial of the Safoora Goth bus carnage case would be conducted inside the central prison.

The home department through a notification had informed the ATC-I that the trial of the suspects would be conducted inside the prison because of security reasons.

Sindh police in August had planned to send 35 cases of terrorist activities allegedly carried out by Safoora Goth bus attack suspects, believed to be local operatives of self-styled Islamic State, to military courts, official sources say.

The Sindh police had decided to ‘re-examine’ all terrorism-related cases on the basis of severity of the crime before recommending them to the home department in the wake of Supreme Court decision in favour of military courts.

Read: Saad Aziz — From IBA graduate to 'terror suspect'?

Safoora Goth massacre

Saad Aziz alias Tin Tin, Tahir Hussain Minhas alias Sain, Asad-ur-Rehman alias Malik, Hafiz Nasir alias Yasir and Mohammad Azhar Ishrat alias Majid are facing trial for their involvement in the killing of 45 Ismaili community members, including 18 women, in a targeted attack on a bus near Safoora Goth on May 13.

At least 43 people were killed and 13 others wounded when armed men opened fire inside a bus carrying members of the Ismaili community near Safoora Chowk in Karachi.

The armed men used 9mm pistols in the massacre, and managed to flee after the attack.

Sabeen Mahmud's murder

Earlier in April this year, prominent rights activist and co-founder and director of The Second Floor (T2F), Sabeen Mahmud was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Karachi.

Sabeen, accompanied by her mother, left T2F after 9pm and was on her way home when she was shot by unidentified gunmen in Defence Phase-II, sources confirmed. She died on her way to the hospital. Doctors said they retrieved five bullets from her body.

Her mother also sustained bullet wounds and was said to be in critical condition, but survived the wounds.

Related: Director T2F Sabeen Mahmud shot dead in Karachi

Military courts

Military courts were set up under the 21st Amendment to the Constitution and through an amendment in the Army Act, and both houses of the parliament had unanimously passed the legislation.

Religious and sectarian terrorist outfits were to be the focus of the new courts.

The Supreme Court (SC) in a majority ruling had upheld the establishment of military courts in Pakistan.

Petitions challenging the 21st amendment were dismissed in a majority 11-6 vote of the 17-member SC bench.

The Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif in August had approved an increase in the number of military courts for Karachi to handle outstanding terror cases.

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...