The government on Monday announced details about the committee constituted to launch an inquiry into the Dawn's story and asked it to submit the report within 30 days, it has been learnt.

Justice (retd) Aamir Raza Khan will be the chairman of the committee, which has representatives of the security agencies ISI, MI and IB, read a notification issued by the interior ministry — a copy of which is available with Dawn.

Secretary Establishment Tahir Shahbaz and Punjab's Ombudsman Najam Saeed will also be part of the committee, along with Director FIA Usman Anwar.

The committee has been formed to probe Dawn's story "Act against militants or face international isolation, civilians tell military", which reported details of a high level civil-military meeting discussing the issue of Pakistan's banned outfits.

Notification issued by interior ministry.
Notification issued by interior ministry.

"It will enquire into the circumstances of the alleged leak and establish the identity of those responsible," read the notification.

The report of the high-profile security meeting has forced the government to initiate an inquiry to identify the person responsible for its leak.

It also led to the sacking of Pervaiz Rasheed as Information Minister, as the government felt Rasheed should have told the newspaper not to publish the story when he was contacted by the reporter.

"Pervaiz Rasheed called the reporter into his office. Through my entire investigation... I reached the conclusion that Pervaiz Rasheed should have told the reporter that this story is wrong, 'Do not publish this story in view of national interest'," Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar had said in a press conference last week.

The story, the backlash

The Prime Minister's Office had rejected the story, but the military maintained the story had been "leaked" and demanded a probe into the matter as it viewed the leak as a breach of national security.

Journalist Cyril Almeida's name was also placed on the Exit Control List (ECL) after the publication of the story but his name was later removed by the Interior Ministry as a "goodwill gesture".

In an Editor's note, Dawn clarified its position and stated on the record that the story "was verified, cross-checked and fact-checked."

Last month participants of a corps commander meeting expressed serious concern over what they said was "feeding of false and fabricated story of an important security meeting held at PM House and viewed it as breach of national security.

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.