MANSEHRA: The federal government has included the newly-created Upper and Lower Kohistan in the national housing and population census’s second phase scheduled to begin on April 25.

“We have finalised preparations for the holding of census in the two districts (Upper and Lower Kohistan). All activities will be executed and monitored through a control room set up in Dasu,” Upper Kohistan deputy commissioner Mohammad Asif told reporters here on Wednesday.

The local government elections didn’t take place in the two districts due to their creation by the bifurcation of Kohistan.

The DC said Kolai-Palas, whose district status was approved by the provincial cabinet in the month but had yet to be notified, would be considered part of Kohistan district and that the housing and population census would be carried out there, too.


1,000 enumerators, army personnel each to take part in exercise beginning on April 25


He said staff members had been posted to the Dasu control room. Mr Asif said he would oversee the entire exercise of the census in the region.

He said Kohistan had been divided into 1,151 blocks and 244 circles for census in which around 1,000 enumerators and army personnel each would take part.

The DC said 909 teams having 10 percent extra staff members at their disposal had been formed, while three assistant commissioners and 42 superintendents would monitor the census activities in the district.

ACCIDENT CLAIMS LIFE: A man was killed and three suffered critical injuries in a road accident in Attershiaha area of Mansehra district on Wednesday.

The accident occurred after a passenger jeep bound for Balakot collided head-on with a speeding pickup van leaving Zainul Abideen, Mohammad Yasir, Mazhar Hussain Shah and Muqarab Shah seriously injured.

The injured were taken to the King Abdullah Teaching Hospital, where the doctors declared Zainul Abideen dead.

The body was handed over to the family after postmortem. The police registered a case and began investigation to ascertain the cause of the accident.

PK-54 BY-POLL IN MAY: The Election Commission of Pakistan on Wednesday announced that the by-election for the PK-54, Mansehra, seat would be held on May 10.

The seat had fallen vacant after the Peshawar High Court disqualified PML-N MPA Mian Ziaur Rehman over fake degree. A circular issued by the ECP said the by-election was being held in light of the court’s judgment.

The former MPA has already challenged his disqualification in the Supreme Court. The constituency consists of Balakot tehsil. The by-election for PK-62 Kohistan seat, which had fallen vacant after the resignation of JUI-F MPA Maulana Asmatullah, will also take place the same day.

Published in Dawn, March 30th, 2017

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...