ISLAMABAD: The National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) and the Islamabad Electric Supply Company (Iesco) have raised objections to Capital Development Authority (CDA)’s move of linking the provision of utility connections to new houses with its no-objection certificate (NOC).

A source in the CDA told Dawn that recently both Nepra and Iesco wrote to the civic agency informing it that its decision had created problems for both the organisations.

Through a letter to the CDA dated October 9, Nepra’s Director Iftikkhar Ali Khan said as per Nepra’s regulations 2003 there was no requirement of such a NOC.

“Nepra is in receipt of numerous complaints against Iesco regarding non-provision of electricity connections despite completion of all codal formalities. Mostly, the complaints pertained to E-11 sector. The issue was taken up with Disco (distribution company) and in response the company submitted that there are restrictions by CDA in provision of connections without its NOC.”

Say civic agency’s decision to link provision of utility connections to new houses with its NOC has created problems for the two companies

The company is only allowing its connections in sectors developed by CDA whereas for other areas the CDA’s NOC is required. On the other hands, the complainants have stated that their cases are complete but are pending due to the NOC issue. They also informed Nepra that the CDA had been approached for NOC but the civic agency was yet to devise a mechanism due to which the citizens are suffering.” The letter said Nepra was mandated to protect the right of consumers under the Generation, Transmission and Distribution of Electricity Power Act 1997.

“Nepra has framed consumer eligibility criteria regulations 2003 and consumer service manual for provision of connections by the distribution companies on non-discriminatory basis. As per documents, there is no requirement of such a NOC,” the letter said and added that a meeting was also scheduled at the Nepra headquarters on September 19 on a complaint filed by a company against Iesco regarding provision of connections in E-11 but the CDA officials did not attend the meeting.

Similarly, through a letter dated October 11, Iesco stated that due to the restriction imposed by the CDA the utility company had stopped giving new connections in the capital against Nepra’s eligibility criteria which required only ownership proof of the building as a basis requirement for the provision of connections.

“The CDA has failed to stop the construction of houses and commercial buildings in the ICT limit. After construction of building pressure is exerted on Iesco from different forums and applicants for provision of electricity connections being their fundamental right,” the Iesco letter stated.

It said due to non-provision of electricity connections, Iesco was also losing its business.

“In this regard, the most affected areas of Islamabad are Tarlai, Chatta Bakhtawar, Nilor, Khanna Dhak, Ghouri Town, Bhara Kahu, Shah Allah Ditta, exempted area of Golra Sharif, E-11, etc, where construction of residential and commercial buildings continues on a fast track and owners are exerting pressure on Iesco for the provision of connections.”

It said the CDA should withdraw the condition of NOC for the already constructed buildings or take a decision on the issuance of NOCs promptly.

When contacted, CDA Director Building Control Shafi Marwat said both Nepra and Iesco had been informed that the Supreme Court and the Islamabad High Court had imposed a ban on electricity connections without an NOC from the CDA. He said the Cabinet Division had also directed Wapda on May 19, 2014, not to provide any electricity connection in the capital without the NOC from the CDA.

“We have informed both Iesco and Nepra not to issue any connection to any premises within the ICT limits without the requisite NOC from CDA. In case any mishap happens, such as a fire incident or collapse of a building the CDA will not take any responsibility as we have clearly requested Iesco, Nepra and the SNGPL not to issue any utility connections without our NOC,” he said.

Published in Dawn, November 1st, 2017

Opinion

Losing the plot

Losing the plot

It was the likes of Ahluwalia who recognised that the economic strategy would have to change, away from ‘import substitution’...

Editorial

Canal unrest
03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

AS unrest in Sindh increases over the Cholistan canal plan, the PPP seems unclear on how to cool public sentiments....
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.