ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday condemned a foiled Houthi missile attack targeting a Saudi city and warned that repeated attacks by the Yemeni militia posed a threat to the holy places and the security of the kingdom.

“We are deeply concerned over media reports of a missile attack by the Houthi militia towards Khamis Mushait on Feb 5, 2018,” a Foreign Office statement said. Khamis Mushait is located in South West of Saudi Arabia, some 900 kilometres from capital Riyadh.

“The timely interception by the Saudi Air Defence saved the civilian populated city from grave consequences. Such attacks targeting the unarmed civilian population are a violation of international law and condemnable,” it added.

The Houthis launched several missiles targeting Saudi cities, but most of them were intercepted before they could hit the target.

The Foreign Office’s assertion that the Houthi attacks posed a threat to the security of the kingdom and the holy places suggests the position of Pakistan, which had previously refused to take sides in the Yemen war, on the issue is evolving.

Pakistan had declined participation in the Yemen war when the Saudi Arab began the offensive against the Houthis for reinstalling President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in 2015. However, it has always listed threat to the holy mosques as a red line.

Just last week, Chief of the Army Staff Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa quietly toured the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia where he met Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman. Yemen war was said to be on the agenda of the meeting.

The development comes as US presented ‘evidence’ to the ambassadors of countries in UN Security Council that Iran had supplied missiles to the Houthis. The allegation was strongly rejected by Tehran and Foreign Minister Javad Zarif had mocked at the evidence.

The Houthis have been carrying out the missile attacks in response to the war imposed by the US-backed and Saudi Arabia-led military coalition of Arab forces that killed more than 10,000 Yemenis and pushed the war-ravaged and poverty-stricken country to the brink of mass famine.

Published in Dawn, February 8th, 2018

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...