MULTAN: Instead of establishing a separate district headquarters (DHQ) hospital in Multan, the provincial government has merged three hospitals of the city declaring them the Multan DHQ hospital.

Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif inaugurated the 45-bed ‘DHQ’ Hospital during his visit to the city on Feb 7.

This is not what his predecessor Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi had planned for the city.

On Nov 3, 2004, then chief minister Pervaiz Elahi had announced establishing a 300-bed DHQ Hospital in Multan. Though the then government had acquired land for the hospital at Hassan Sawali Chowk but the hospital never saw the light of the day.

In 2008, the government of Shahbaz Sharif set in. In November 2008, he announced establishing the Multan Institute of Kidney Diseases at the DHQ hospital building and setting up the Multan DHQ hospital at a separate place.

A couple of months back, the provincial government merged the Shahbaz Sharif General Hospital, the Civil Hospital and the Fatima Jinnah Women Hospital and gave them the name of the Multan DHQ hospital.

The reality is the Civil Hospital Multan was established in 19th century while the Fatima Jinnah Women Hospital was established in 1960.

On Aug 7, 2012 the chief minister laid the foundation stone of the ‘Nawaz Sharif Hospital’ at the state land, which was retrieved from a former provincial minister. Later, the name of the hospital was changed to Shahbaz Sharif Hospital.

The government is drawing criticism for merging three hospitals to make a 45-bed DHQ hospital.

“A hospital must have 200 beds to be declared a DHQ hospital,” said former PPP MPA Dr Javed Siddiqi.

He said that after the merger, the operation theater of the Civil Hospital had been closed; a technician was operating the X-Ray machine instead of a radiologist; and there is no medical officer in the ENT ward of the hospital.

He said that under Pak-Italian Debt Swap Agreement, a burn unit was established with the cost of Rs400 million which then prime minister Yousaf Raza Gilani had inaugurated in 2010.

The same unit was again inaugurated by Mr Sharif.

He said the other hospitals in the city were also facing the shortage of the staff.

He said the foundation stone of a six-storey building of extension block of the Children’s Complex was laid down in 2004 which was completed in 2007 but the PML-N government never made it functional.

This is enough to expose the PML-N government’s performance, he concluded.

Published in Dawn, March 2nd, 2018

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...