Arrest made after Canada’s deadliest mass killing; motive unclear

Published April 25, 2018
ONTARIO Prime Minister Kathleen Wynne and Toronto Mayor John Tory bring flowers to the makeshift memorial for victims of the attack.—AFP
ONTARIO Prime Minister Kathleen Wynne and Toronto Mayor John Tory bring flowers to the makeshift memorial for victims of the attack.—AFP

TORONTO: The driver accused of ploughing a rental van into pedestrians in Toronto was charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder on Tuesday, but his motive remained a mystery.

The deadliest mass killing in Canada in decades took the lives of two South Korean citizens and eight others on Monday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there was no reason to suspect any terror links to the tragedy.

Suspect Alek Minassian, 25, appeared in a court in Canada’s largest city, where prosecutors charged him in the death of 10 pedestrians and injury of 15 others in the lunchtime attack that saw him drive a Ryder van for about two kilometres along a crowded pavement.

Minassian kept his shaved head down during the hearing, speaking quietly with a defence lawyer and stated his name in a steady voice when asked to do so.

Details about the dead began to emerge on Tuesday, with a South Korean foreign ministry representative saying that two of that country’s citizens were killed and one injured in the attack.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called on all Canadians to stand united with Toronto as flowers and scrawled messages in multiple languages piled up at a makeshift memorial in the city’s northern end, an ethnically diverse neighbourhood of towering office buildings, shops, restaurants and homes.

“We cannot as Canadians choose to live in fear every single day as we go about our daily business,” Trudeau told reporters outside parliament in Ottawa. “We need to focus on doing what we can and we must to keep Canadians safe while we stay true to the freedom and values that we all as Canadians hold dear.”

The prime minister said that, while it would take time before the motives of the attacker were understood, the incident had not changed the country’s threat level or security preparations for a G7 summit in Quebec in June.

The Canadian flag was lowered to half-mast at parliament and at Toronto city hall.

Minassian, who was not previously known to authorities, attended a high school programme where one classmate remembered him as “absolutely harmless”.

The suspect’s two-storey red-brick home in a suburb north of Toronto was a crime scene on Tuesday, taped off and surrounded by police vehicles. Officers went in and out of the house.

The officer who apprehended Minassian was praised for making a peaceful arrest even as the suspect shouted “Kill me” and claimed to have a gun.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation identified one of the victims as Anne Marie D’Amico, an employee of asset manager Invesco Canada. In a statement, Invesco confirmed that one of its employees had been killed, but did not name her.

The attack shook the usually peaceful streets of Toronto, a multicultural city with a population of 2.8 million. The city recorded 61 murders last year.

The drama started at lunchtime on a warm spring day, when the driver drove his vehicle into the crowds. The street was soon covered in blood, empty shoes and bodies.

Canada is still recovering from the shock of a highway crash in Saskatchewan earlier this month that killed 16 people on a bus carrying a junior ice hockey team. In October, eight people died in New York when a man driving a rented pickup truck mowed down pedestrians and cyclists on a bike path.

The militant Islamic State group encourages its supporters to use vehicles for attacks.

Published in Dawn, April 25th, 2018

Opinion

Editorial

Canal unrest
03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

AS unrest in Sindh increases over the Cholistan canal plan, the PPP seems unclear on how to cool public sentiments....
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.