Policeman martyred in blast outside Quetta's Balochistan University

Published October 18, 2021
This photo shows the scene of the reported blast. — Photo courtesy: Twitter
This photo shows the scene of the reported blast. — Photo courtesy: Twitter

A policeman was martyred while 17 people were injured in a blast near Balochistan University on Quetta's Sariab Road on Monday, officials said.

Law enforcement agencies and rescue officials began arriving on the scene shortly after the incident was reported. The area was also cordoned off by security officials.

Balochistan government spokesperson Liaquat Shahwani said that a police truck deputed outside the varsity gate was targeted and an explosive device was planted in a motorcycle. He said that those responsible for the blast will be arrested and brought to justice.

Initially, Shahwani had said that one police official was martyred and eleven people, including seven cops and four passersby, were injured. In a later update, he said that 17 people had been injured in the incident.

Civil Hospital Spokesperson Dr Wasim Baig added that the injured included 13 police officials and four passersby.

Home Minister Mir Ziaullah Langove said that police officials had been providing security to protesting students outside the varsity when the blast took place.

"The attackers wanted to target the students, but police officials were targeted due to tight security arrangements in place," the minister said. Langove added that the miscreants wanted to spread chaos by targeting students.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed condemned the incident and said that he had sought a report from the Balochistan IGP. He also offered condolences to the family of the martyred official.

"We will not allow terrorists to destroy the province's peace. The federal government will provide resources and support to the provincial government," he said.

On September 25, four security personnel were martyred and two others injured in a bomb attack on a vehicle of the Frontier Corps in the Khosat area of Balochistan's Harnai district.

The banned Baloch Liberation Army claimed had responsibility for the attack.

The FC soldiers were on patrolling duty and when their vehicle reached the Safar Bash area, the improvised explosive device went off resulting in the martyrdom of four soldiers and injuries to two officers.

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...