Balochistan University sit-in paused after authorities assure of missing students' recovery

Published November 13, 2021
A file photo of students protesting at Balochistan University. — DawnNewsTV/File
A file photo of students protesting at Balochistan University. — DawnNewsTV/File

Protesting students of the Balochistan University paused their sit-in for four days on Saturday after receiving assurances from the provincial government and the university administration regarding the recovery of their two missing fellows.

Sohail Baloch and Faseeh Baloch went missing several days ago, following which the students began their protest on Nov 7.

Days later on November 9 (Tuesday), as the negotiations with the authorities failed, students belonging to various factions of the Baloch Student Organisation (BSO) ​locked the gates of the varsity and announced that no one would take the semester examinations, and that their protest would continue until the duo were recovered.

Talking to Dawn.com today, BSO Central Secretary General Balach Qadir said that in the latest round of negotiations, which took place on Friday, the government provided assurance that the missing students would be found. The protest was subsequently paused till Tuesday, he said.

The BSO official quoted the administration as announcing that the university would reopen from Nov 15 (Monday) and educational activities, administrative matters and examinations would then resume.

However, a token protest would continue in front of the university's admin block, Qadir said, the protesters' stance was that if the missing students were not recovered till Tuesday then the protest would restart and the university would be shut down again.

The government had formed a committee on Nov 11 to address the students' issues and submit their recommendations. One of the committee members, Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party MPA Nasrullah Zaray, confirmed the conditional agreement reached to Dawn.com and said that the matter had been brought before Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Abdul Qudoos Bizenjo.

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...