Syrian Kurds retake prison, ending six-day IS attack

Published January 27, 2022
Members of the Syrian Democratic Forces deploy outside Ghwayran prison in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh after having declared over the facility following its takeover by Islamic State group forces, Jan 26. — AFP
Members of the Syrian Democratic Forces deploy outside Ghwayran prison in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh after having declared over the facility following its takeover by Islamic State group forces, Jan 26. — AFP

HASAKEH: Kurdish forces on Wednesday retook full control of a prison in northeast Syria where jihadists of the militant Islamic State group had been holed up since attacking it six days earlier.

The brazen IS jailbreak attempt and ensuing clashes left more than 180 dead in the jihadists’ most high-profile military operation since the loss of their “caliphate” nearly three years ago.

Ghwayran prison in the city of Hasakeh held an estimated 3,500 IS inmates when the initial attack began on January 20 with explosives-laden vehicles steered by suicide bombers.

The Kurdish authorities have insisted no inmates escaped from the compound but the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group has said significant numbers got away.

“The entire prison is under our control... and inmates are being transferred to a safe place,” said Nowruz Ahmed, a top official with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

Speaking during a press conference, she said combing operations in the area were still underway, adding that a 9,000-strong Kurdish-led force had taken part in efforts to retake the facility.

With US and other foreign forces stepping in to support Kurdish elite units, the neighbourhood around the prison was secured and the besieged militants inside the prison started turning themselves in.

The SDF — the semi-autonomous Kurdish administration’s de-facto army — had said that around 1,000 IS inmates had surrendered.

The Observatory, which relies on a network of sources inside Syria, confirmed that the attack was over, after nearly six full days that turned the largest city in northeast Syria into a war zone.

Thousands of Hasakeh residents were forced to leave their homes after at least 100 IS fighters stormed the facility, in their biggest show of force in years. In one mosque located at a safe distance from the chaos, hundreds of women and children were huddled together in the biting winter cold.

“We want to go back home,” said Maya, a 38-year-old mother trying in vain to pacify her youngest child, adding that “there is no bread, water or sugar here.” Fighting in and around the prison since Thursday killed 181 people, including 124 IS jihadists, 50 Kurdish fighters and seven civilians, according to the Observatory.

That death toll could rise, however, as Kurdish forces and medical services gain access to all parts of the prison following the end of the attack.

A stand-off gripped the prison for days, with Kurdish forces and their IS foes aware they faced either a bloodbath or talks to end the fighting.

There were fears for more than 700 boys who were among those held in the facility.

Kurdish forces had cut off food and water to the jail for two days to pressure holdout jihadists to give themselves up, the Observatory said.

The SDF has been reluctant to refer to talks between them and IS fighters, and it remains unclear exactly what led to the end of the attack.

Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said a Syrian IS jihadist had negotiated with Kurdish forces to end the stand-off and secure medical care for wounded jihadists.

Since Monday, Kurdish forces had freed at least 32 prison staff, some of whom appeared in video footage that IS had shared on social media after launching the attack.

Ghwayran is the prison with the largest number of suspected IS members in Syria, and many, from Kurdish officials to Western observers, have warned the jailbreak should serve as a wake-up call. Kurdish authorities say more than 50 nationalities are represented in Kurdish-run prisons holding more than 12,000 IS suspects.

“This is a global problem that requires many nations to come together to develop an enduring long-term solution,” the US-led coalition said in a statement following Wednesday’s announcement.

“The makeshift prisons throughout Syria are a breeding ground” for IS, the coalition added, calling for thorough investigations into the circumstances behind the attack.

The Kurdish administration has long warned it does not have the capacity to hold, let alone put on trial, all the IS fighters captured in years of operations.

Published in Dawn, January 27th, 2022

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.