Karachi police chief Yaqoob Minhas removed abruptly, replaced with predecessor

Published February 11, 2022
This file combination photo shows Imran Yaqoob Minhas (L) and Ghulam Nabi Memon (R). — Imtiaz Ali/Twitter
This file combination photo shows Imran Yaqoob Minhas (L) and Ghulam Nabi Memon (R). — Imtiaz Ali/Twitter

The Sindh government on Friday abruptly removed the Karachi police chief, Additional Inspector General Imran Yaqoob Minhas, after only nine months on the post and replaced him with Ghulam Nabi Memon.

The change comes amid growing complaints of a rise in street crime in the metropolitan city from all segments of society, which have also called out the security administration for its failure to curb such incidents.

Read: Businessmen voice concern over growing street crime

However, Memon's appointment as Karachi police chief came as a surprise to many as he was transferred from the same office in May 2021 and given charge of Special Branch, Sindh — a post that was previously held by Minhas.

A host of new challenges await the new police chief, including a growing number of street crimes, questions regarding the performance of the force in the port city and allegations of protecting high-profile suspects such as those in the Nazim Jokhio murder and Dua Mangi kidnapping cases.

In the notification, Sindh Chief Secretary Mumtaz Ali Shah said: "Ghulam Nabi Memon, an officer of Police Service of Pakistan (BS-21), additional inspector general of police, Special Branch, Sindh, is transferred and posted with immediate effect and until further orders as additional inspector general of police, Karachi range vice Imran Yaqoob Minhas, transferred.”

The notification added that Minhas, an officer of Police Service of Pakistan (BS-21), had been transferred and posted as the additional inspector general of police at the Sindh Counter Terrorism Department (CTD).

In addition, Allah Bux alias Javed Akhtar Odho, an officer of Police Service of Pakistan (BS-21), was appointed the additional inspector general of police, Special Branch, Sindh, in place of Memon.

Memon was appointed the Karachi police chief for the first time in July 2019. He was transferred as the federal government had requisitioned his services.

The Establishment Division, in a letter to the Sindh government, had contended that as per the new policy, the transfer of an officer was required if he or she had served in a province continuously for 10 years.

However, the Sindh government had shown reluctance to hand over the services of Memon to the federal government and appointed him as the chief of Special Branch.

Meanwhile, a source at chief minister’s house said he believed that it was a "routine administrative change".

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.