Sirajul Haq escapes suicide attack on convoy in Balochistan’s Zhob, 6 others injured: police

Published May 19, 2023
This photo shows a blast on Jamaat-i-Islami emir Sirajul Haq’s convoy in Balochistan’s Zhob on Friday. — DawnNewsTV
This photo shows a blast on Jamaat-i-Islami emir Sirajul Haq’s convoy in Balochistan’s Zhob on Friday. — DawnNewsTV

Jamaat-i-Islami (JI) emir Sirajul Haq on Friday narrowly escaped a “suicide attack” that targeted his convoy in Balochistan’s Zhob while six others were injured, according to police.

City police station Station House Officer (SHO) Sher Ali Mandokhail told Dawn.com that all of the injured were being treated at Civil Hospital, Zhob and one of them was in critical condition.

He said Haq’s vehicle was partly damaged in the incident while the JI emir remained unhurt.

The official added that a body found at the site of the blast was of the “suicide attacker”.

In a tweet, the JI also said that Haq — who was visiting the area to address a political gathering — was safe and that the attacker had been killed.

“JI emir Siraj reached Quetta today and had to go further to Zhob where he has a political gathering today. When he was entering Zhob and people were welcoming him, a person came and blew himself up,” party spokesperson Qaisar Sharif said in a video message.

“Everybody was safe in the suicide attack and there was no loss of lives. According to initial information, only some cars have been damaged and a few people have sustained injuries.”

“The JI leadership is safe,” he added.

According to SHO Mandokhail, Haq insisted on going to the venue of his political gathering after the blast. “He was given a clearance after additional police and law enforcement personal were deployed.”

The official said Zhob Assistant Commissioner Hafiz Tariq had been assigned the JI’s security.

Condemnations

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif “strongly” condemned the suicide attack, saying he had directed the Balochistan government to investigate the attack from all angles and bring the perpetrators to justice.

Meanwhile, Balochistan Chief Minister Abdul Quddus Bizenjo expressed grief over the suicide blast.

“We are grateful to Allah who protected the emir of JI and his colleagues,” he said. “It is deeply regretted that five people were injured in the incident.”

He said terrorists wanted to achieve their evil goals by spreading fear and insecurity in the province, adding that militants and their patrons will not be allowed to succeed.

National Assembly (NA) Speaker Raja Pervez Ashraf and Deputy Speaker Zahid Akram Durrani also condemned the incident, expressing deep grief and sorrow over the loss of lives.

They prayed for the victims and extended their condolences to the bereaved, according to a statement on the NA’s Twitter.

In his condemnation, PPP co-chairperson Asif Ali Zardari called for the arrest of the planners of the attack.

He extended his wishes to Haq and prayed for the fast recovery of the injured, a statement on the PPP’s Twitter said.

PTI Chairman Imran Khan also condemned the attack and prayed for the wounded.

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.