KPT to take over PICT as 21-year concession expires

Published June 13, 2023
the Sindh High Court has ruled that PICT does not have the right to intervene in the KPT’s invitation of fresh bids from new terminal operators for the berths 6-9.—Dawn
the Sindh High Court has ruled that PICT does not have the right to intervene in the KPT’s invitation of fresh bids from new terminal operators for the berths 6-9.—Dawn

ISLAMABAD: The Cabinet Comm­ittee on Inter-Governmental Commercial Transactions (CCoIGCT) on Monday empowered the Karachi Port Trust (KPT) to take over the operations of the Container Terminal (Berths 6 to 9 at East Wharf) when its 21-year agreement expires on June 17 with the existing concessionaire — Pakistan International Container Terminal (PICT).

The meeting of the committee presided over by Finance Minister Ishaq Dar was given a presentation on the subject. The meeting was informed that KPT had entered into a 21-year contract with the PICT over the operations of the Container Terminal in 2002 on a Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) basis but the concessionaire was unwilling to vacate the facility by overstretching its position and contract terms.

However, the Ministry of Maritime Affairs (MOMA) being the parent ministry of the KPT, based on resolutions and decisions of the board of directors of KPT, had directed the port trust to take over the facility soon after the expiry of the contract.

“The committee endorsed the decision of the ministry that after the expiry of the agreement with PICT on June 17, 2023, KPT will take over the charge of operating the activities of the Container Terminal”, said an official statement.

Informed sources said many port operators including Abu Dhabi Ports had also shown interest to take over the terminal, improve its facilities and operate through competitive bidding. However, the existing operator wanted to continue by exercising the right to match the highest bid. The sources said the existing concessionaire had taken the matter to the Sindh High Court to retain its occupation and operations even after June 17 but its claim was rejected by the court in March. The litigant had moved an intra-court appeal.

The CCoIGCT directed the KPT to take over the facility and pursue the matter with the honourable for the early conclusion and select any other operators through competitive bidding.

The court record suggests that PICT’s majority stakes were secured by the Philippines-based International Conta­iner Terminal Services Inc (ICTSI). The KPT had decided last year to terminate the existing contract on expiry and hold competitive bidding for future operations.

PICT wanted the KPT’s decision to be annulled so that it could continue operating the terminal’s births 6 to 9 and claimed entitled to an extension of the contract because it was not given termination notice a year in advance.

PICT CEO Khurram Aziz Khan didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Published in Dawn, June 13th, 2023

Follow Dawn Business on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Facebook for insights on business, finance and tech from Pakistan and across the world.

Opinion

From hard to harder

From hard to harder

Instead of ‘hard state’ turning even harder, citizens deserve a state that goes soft on them in delivering democratic and development aspirations.

Editorial

Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...
Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.