QUETTA: The question of who will be Balochistan’s caretaker chief minister may have to be settled by a parliamentary committee after outgoing Chief Minister Abdul Qudoos Bizenjo and Opposition Leader Malik Sikander Khan Advocate failed to reach a consensus.

A decision had to be made within three days of the provincial assembly’s dissolution under the law and Tuesday was the last day to finalise a name, since Balochistan Governor Malik Abdul Wali Kakar signed the summary for the assembly’s dissolution on Aug 12.

Earlier in the day, the two discussed the names of proposed candidates to reach a consensus for the slot of interim chief minister.

Both sides did not disclose the names of candidates discussed in the late Monday night meeting.

However, sources said that while the name of Ali Mardan Domki had been discussed between the two leaders, CM Bizenjo did not agree to sign a summary suggesting Mr Domki as his successor.

Earlier, a source said the name of the consensus candidate may prove surprising for everyone, as with the selection of caretaker PM Anwaarul Haq Kakar a few days ago.

Billionaire tribal elder Malik Shah and Prince Ahmed Ali from the Khan of Kalat’s family were also named as potential candidates for the interim slot, but media reports seemed to suggest that Mr Domki had emerged as the strongest candidate thus far.

Mr Domki is a former district nazim from Sibi, who contested the 2013 general elections from PB-7 against his brother, Sardar Sarfaraz Domki.

On Tuesday, Mr Domki and former Balochistan CM Jam Kamal Alyani also called on caretaker PM Kakar in Islamabad.

According to the Constitution, if the chief minister and the opposition leader fail to reach a consensus on a suitable name for interim chief minister within the prescribed period, the matter would be sent to the parliamentary committee.

The chief minister and the opposition leader would send the names of three candidates each to the parliamentary committee.

If the committee could also not reach a consensus, the matter would then go to the Election Commission of Pakistan, which would then take a final decision on the matter.

Published in Dawn, August 16th, 2023

Opinion

First line of defence

First line of defence

Pakistan’s foreign service has long needed reform to be able to adapt to global changes and leverage opportunities in a more multipolar world.

Editorial

Eid amidst crises
Updated 31 Mar, 2025

Eid amidst crises

Until the Muslim world takes practical steps to end these atrocities, these besieged populations will see no joy.
Women’s rights
Updated 01 Apr, 2025

Women’s rights

Such judgements, and others directly impacting women’s rights should be given more airtime in media.
Not helping
Updated 02 Apr, 2025

Not helping

If it's committed to peace in Balochistan, the state must draw a line between militancy and legitimate protest.
Hard habits
Updated 30 Mar, 2025

Hard habits

Their job is to ensure that social pressures do not build to the point where problems like militancy and terrorism become a national headache.
Dreams of gold
30 Mar, 2025

Dreams of gold

PROSPECTS of the Reko Diq project taking off soon seem to have brightened lately following the completion of the...
No invitation
30 Mar, 2025

No invitation

FOR all of Pakistan’s hockey struggles, including their failure to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup as well...